Why Home Decoration?
If you believe in the saying, ‘home is where your heart is’, then you certainly would like to keep your heart in a beautiful abode of thoughts and feelings shared by your world.
Your Home Decoration Depicts Who You Are and What You Think.
Decorating one’s home is an age old concept. Our world has derived this concept from the tribal forms of living. The acceptance of ethnic home decors not only has become popular but has become a way to invoke your understanding of the different cultural ramifications.
Different Types of Home Decors
Broadly, there are two distinct spaces that require your attention. They are:
- Outdoor Decorations
- Indoor Decorations
Outdoor decorations cover your:
- Main Entrance Door
- Your Name Plate
Your identity is reflected here, to be precise, how you want to be addressed by your peers. Outer designs on the mailbox may be teemed with:
- Print of Miniature Paintings
- Print of Warli Painting
- Ethnic Woodwork
- Typography: The typography or fonts that to write your name reflects your priority in life – Arial, Times New Roman (the more official ones) or more ethnic fonts which is readily available in the market.
Main Entrance Door
Again concerning your personality, the material of the door and the elements you attach on it gives a clue of your taste.
- Material: If you have an independent house, the best material for your entrance is seasoned wood, usually made of teak or oak.
- Door Knob: Door knobs are made of two materials:
- Wood: Wooden knobs are more modern in approach, but usually less creative. For instance, a musician may find a knob in the shape of a guitar, but the metallic ones are more ethnic and elite in nature.
- Metal Cast: Metal casted knobs are reminiscent of the royal structures and the marginalized ethnic styles.
Usually name plates can be of two materials:
- Metal: Metal name plates are the most common name plates that people generally use but the metal cast fonts used makes the difference.
- Wood: More ethnic and stylish, wooden name plates are sometimes carved, embossed, or simply are written with interesting fonts.
If you are elite and thoughtful in your taste, the four walls of the interior is the canvas of the image of your true spirit. The various genres of artifacts you can choose from are:
- Handicraft and Wall Hangings
- Art Furniture (ethnic and concept art)
- Wooden Panels
- Lamp Shades
Paintings are the most common art forms to beautify your walls. There are no hard and fast rules or segmentations, but the house is decorated with paintings mostly based on the same form, era, or other socio-cultural specificities. However, the paintings used for decorative purpose are usually clubbed under:
- Ethnic Paintings: Ethnic paintings of course give an impression of prioritizing the marginal cultures and accepting it. Among the popular Indian ethnic paintings one might choose from:
- Thangka Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Madhubani Paintings
- Phad Paintings
- Warli Paintings
- Tanjore Painting
- Kalamkari Painting
- Tibetan Paintings
- Mural Paintings
- Batik Paintings
- Indian Classical Paintings: Moving towards the realistic representation of life in its forms and content, themes on religion and spirituality and portraits of man and animal, the classical paintings (most of them are royal court paintings) are a popular choice as a part of home decor. Starting from ‘calendar art’ of the pioneer called Raja Ravi Verma, classical paintings are more functionary and talk about the more recent evolutionary process of the Indian society.
- Modern Indian Paintings: There cannot be any particular form or genre of the Modern Indian Painting. These paintings are strikingly contemporary, talks about the human existence in an age of inanimate objects. These Paintings are mostly done on oil, canvas and the new trend being mixed media. Starting from Rabindranath Tagore’s scribble paintings and portraits and even Abanindranath Tagore, the contemporary artists whose works will shine your interiors are:
- Binod Behari Mukherjee
- Ganesh Pyne
- Amrita Shergil
- Tyeb Mehta
- Bhupen Khekar
- Akbar Padamsee
- J.S Swaminathan, just to name a few.
- Cartoon and Political Graphities: If you are keener in politics and you like the representations of the most crucial political issues in the lightest of ways with a pinch of revolutionary ideas, then graphiti art and cartoons are your best choice for making your walls as beautiful as your mind. Among many such artists, the best are:
Handicrafts and Wall Hangings
Wall hangings are reminiscent of the medieval and the tribal wall decorations. Some of the popular and beautiful; wall hangings are:
- Dokra (Metallic) Wall Hangings: Tribal work from the eastern part of India like Bengal, Chhatisgarh and Orissa.
- Metallic and Ceramic Wall Hangings: Both tribal and modern works, these are not only decorative works but also have a utilitarian purpose of hanging keys and other household objects.
- Wooden Wall Hangings: Popular in Rajasthan and other versions in the North Eastern parts like Tibet, they also serve the same purpose of hanging keys and other light objects.
- Tapestries: Woven on vertical loom, tapestries are a special kind of wall hangings made of textile materials. These are beautiful narrative images retelling histories of various cultures and ages.
- Gujrati Wall Hangings
- Gujrati Runners
- Embroidery Wall Hangings
- Applique Wall Hangings
- Goat Leather Wall Hangings
- Ceramic Product Hangings
- Rajasthani Wall Hangings
- Silk Wall Hangings
- Velvet Embroidery Hangings
Furniture is the most important object of your home. It is beautiful to look at and at the same time has a huge usage value depending on its function and comfort. Different types of Indian art furniture are:
- Antique Rocking Chairs
- Theme tables
- Marble top tea tables
- Marble top dining tables
- Ivory top tea tables
- Decorative Metal Mirrors
- Decorative Wooden Mirrors
- Decorative Silver Mirrors
- Decorative German Silver Mirrors
Beside these, furniture from Rajasthan and Kashmir are beautiful to look at and even better to use.
Masks are one of the best art forms adorning your home. Masks become important cultural phenomena and thus carry special significance. The most popular of them are:
- Tibetan Masks
- South East Asian Masks
- Chhou Masks of West Bengal
Wooden panels act as an accessory to your walls. Types of panels that can be found in the market are:
- Antique Indian panels comprising motif works, Hindu gods and goddesses and celestial nymphs or apsaras.
- Tibetan and Buddhist panels: They are meant for good fortune and aesthetics.
Home Decorative Items